Parent Support in the Newborn ICU

What is Common Bonds?

Common Bonds is a peer based support group. All Volunteers are former antepartum patients and/or Newborn Intensive Care Unit parents at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. The idea of parents helping parents is at the core of the Common Bonds program. Through an established network of caring volunteers, Common Bonds helps provide parents with one-to-one and group support.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful for the NICU

I want to share a favorite quote with you:

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow. ~Melody Beattie

I know that having a baby in the NICU is very difficult. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to go through in my life! My daughter stayed here at UVRMC for 3 1/2 months.

I have people ask how I survived all that time...

First of all I didn't know that I had any other options other than survive?

Secondly... My daughter was born very critically ill and I knew that it was either spend a long time in the NICU or not have her with us at all.

As Thanksgiving approaches, I am very grateful for our NICU stay, it was that very difficult NICU stay that blessed our life and allowed us to bring our daughter home. I am also very grateful for the amazing care that she recieved while in the NICU. We felt loved and well taken care of.

My hope for each of you this holiday season is that you have the same blessing.

All my best,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment