Parent Support in the Newborn ICU

What is Common Bonds?

Common Bonds is a peer based support group. All Volunteers are former antepartum patients and/or Newborn Intensive Care Unit parents at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. The idea of parents helping parents is at the core of the Common Bonds program. Through an established network of caring volunteers, Common Bonds helps provide parents with one-to-one and group support.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bonding With Your Baby

When I gave birth to a critically ill baby I was very worried about how I would bond with her. I knew that this experience would be very different from my previous 3 "normal" birth experiences. Now, eight years later, I can honestly say that everything worked out. We have a different bond. From the moment that she was born, I cherished every moment that we spent together.
So to answer the question, Can I bond with my baby who is in the NICU?
I would definitely say "yes"!

Here are some ideas to help with the bonding process:

1. Take a picture of your baby. Pictures are almost as good as real life in easing parent's fear.

2. Visit as often as you can.

3. Touch your baby. As soon as the doctors say you can, put your hands in the isolette and touch your baby. You are relating to your baby each time you touch him/her. Your baby needs the quiet, reassuring presence of your fingertips. He/She will soon come to realize those hands as the ones that are to comfort him/her.

4. Talk. Your baby recognizes your voice because he heard it from the womb. Your voice combined with your touch is an important stimulus.

5. Become involved in your child's care. Don't hesitate to take care of your baby with the permission of the doctors and nurses while visiting your baby. The more you get involved now, the more you will know when it is time to take your baby home. Remember, this is your baby, and you are the one who will go home with him and take care of him for many years to come

No comments:

Post a Comment